August 4, 2020 [11:13]
IAF0530 / IAF9530 - Dependability and fault tolerance
Welcome to the cource IAF0530 / IAF9530 - Dependability and Fault Tolerance homepage.
Here you will find all the information about the course, including reading materials, lecture notes, etc. Till then you can visit the 2017's version of the same course.
- Lectures on weeks 2,4,6,7,9,10 (2x per week). Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00 – 13:30
- Case study presentations on weeks 12-16. Thursdays 10:30 – 13:30
In all e-mails please mention either IAF0530 or IAF9530 in the Subject. Otherwize your e-mail might remain un-noticed.
Important dates (preliminary):
- March 6: Case study topic selection (title) + preliminary list of literature (min. 4 titles). Send by e-mail. Wait for approval, before proceeding!
- March 27 (23:59):
- Draft of the report (by e-mail)
- Abstract, outline, main references, ca. 1 page
- April 26, May 3, 10 and 17: Student presentations (10:30-13:30). NB! There will be no presentations on April 19!
- May 24 (23:59): Deadline for final written reports.
- Oral exam & discussions: May 28 - June 1.
engineering: theory and practice, Alessandro Birolini, Springer, 2010, 2014
Computer Systems, Neil Storey, Addison Wesley, 1996.
- Fault-Tolerant Systems, Israel Koren and C. Mani Krishna, Morgan-Kaufman Publishers, 2007
- Fault-Tolerant Design, Elena Dubrova, Springer, 2013.
- Lecture 1 (pdf) -
Introduction, historical perspective
- Lecture 2 (pdf) -
Additional reading for the next lecture:
- Lectures 3-4 (pdf) -
Hazards, risks, safety
- Lectures 5 & 6 (pdf) - Hardware reliability
- Neuberger, Gustavo, W., G., Reis, R., Protecting Chips Against Hold Time Violations Due to Variability, Springer 2014. Chapter 2:
- Souvik M. Fundamentals of Bias Temperature Instability in MOS Transistors, Springer India 2016. Chapter 7: Reaction-Diffusion Model
- Space product assurance. Techniques for radiation effects mitigation in ASICs and FPGAs handbook. ECSS Secretariat. ESA-ESTEC. 2016
- Nicolaidis, M. Soft Errors in Modern Electronic Systems, 2011 Springer Chapter 2
Additional reading about safety:
- Lectures 7 and 8: (pdf) - Redundancy
- Lectures 9-10: (pdf) - Enemies of dependability. Human factors. Verification, validation.